Southern traditions, family favorites and my new recipes.



I use what I've got. If you have confidence in basic cooking techniques, you can do anything in the kitchen.




Sunday, June 26, 2011

Pan Roasted New Potatoes

Have I said enough wonderful things about my veggie box? I LOVE IT! Even in the summer when my own garden starts to produce, I can switch out things in my box that I'm growing for things I can't grow myself.  And I always find something new... like parsnips and English peas.  More on those peas later.

This week I got a pile of gorgeous, tender new potatoes.  There's nothing I like better than crunchy on the outside, creamy on the inside potato wedges.  Especially when I've got a garden full of herbs I can sprinkle over the potatoes and make them a little different each time.  Chives, basil, rosemary, dill, savory, parsley, oregano or any combination there-of. I've finally figured out how to get the perfect balance without having to turn on the oven in the summer heat or sacrificing either requirement.  This technique takes a medium to large saucepan with a lid, preferably glass so you can see what's happening in there without having to open the lid and check.

Pan Roasted New Potatoes

1-2 teaspoons olive oil
1-2 teaspoons butter
(these two ratios depends on how many 'taters you have and how big your pan is.  You want just enough grease to create a crust, but not so much that you're frying the potatoes)
3 small new potatoes, cut into wedges
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
salt and pepper to taste
1-2 teaspoons chopped herb or herbs of choice

Melt butter in olive oil over low heat.  Add garlic and let it steep in the oil for a few minutes.  Arrange potatoes in pan, season with salt and pepper, close the lid and let steam for 10 minutes or so.  You're not looking for color yet so keep the heat pretty low. This is the 'creamy on the inside' step of the process.


Turn potatoes, lid on, another 10 minutes.  Take lid off, turn heat up to medium high and from here it's all watching the potatoes. You steamed 'em pretty good already, now you're giving them a crust. When you get one side good and golden brown, turn 'em  and let the other sides get brown. I stop being particular at this point about turning each potato; I just toss them around the pan until all sides look nice a golden.
Remove from pan (and don't forget those gorgeous crunchy garlic bits!) and sprinkle with chopped herbs.  When I use rosemary I add it to the pan and give the rosemary just a minute to release it's oils into the pan and really coat the potatoes.

Served with the Coffee Rubbed Pork Tenderloin

1 comment:

  1. Those look delicious! We need to get a veggie box!! - Aimee

    ReplyDelete