Southern traditions, family favorites and my new recipes.



I use what I've got. If you have confidence in basic cooking techniques, you can do anything in the kitchen.




Friday, June 24, 2011

Coffee Rubbed Pork Tenderloin, and Grilled Zucchini


I was looking for something different with a pork tenderloin.  In searching around for ideas I found something that sparked a memory... a few years ago I had dinner at the fabulous Med in Boulder and chose a coffee crusted steak.  It was so out there to me that I just had to try it.  Not only did I LOVE it but I've done something similar with steaks since.  So why couldn't it work with a pork tenderloin and a few more spices to round out full rub?  I combined this new idea with the gorgeous little zucchinis and sweet baby potatoes fresh from my bi-weekly veggie box.

I'm starting to play with acid and how well it balances out flavors.  I got a few lemons in the veggie box this week so I cut up a few, grilled 'em with everything else and finished off the plate with a squeeze of grilled lemon.

Coffee Rub

3 tablespoons coffee grounds
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander

Combine all spices.  Pat the pork tenderloin dry and rub the spice mixture all over the pork. Wrap in plastic wrap and let it sit for 2-4 hours.  Unwrap and grill over medium high heat about 4-5 minutes on each side. 


Grilled Zucchini

2 small or 1 large zucchini, sliced about 1/2 inch on a bias
spritz of olive oil (do you have a Misto yet?)
pinch of salt and pepper
2 teaspoons fresh chives, chopped
1/2 lemon
1 - 2 teaspoon freshly grated Parmesan

Lightly spray or brush zucchini on both sides, sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Start grilling zucchini and the lemon when you've got about 5 minutes left on the pork tenderloin (at it's last turn on the grill).  After 5 minutes on the grill and flip the zucchini slices, check the lemon, remove pork to rest.  Leave zucchini another 5 then remove from grill. Slice the pork and when you plate the zucchini squeeze the lemon over zucchini and pork, sprinkle the chives over both and the Parmesan over the zucchini.



I served these with pan roasted new potatoes... but that recipe's for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment