Southern traditions, family favorites and my new recipes.



I use what I've got. If you have confidence in basic cooking techniques, you can do anything in the kitchen.




Friday, June 3, 2011

I already have a request - The Sauce

To be fair, this is not my recipe.  It's not even 'owned' by the lovely gentleman I got it from.

Usually referred to in our house as "Emma's Dad's Sauce" or, by the Chief Mess Cleaner-Upper, "Crack Sauce."

Originally it was to go over salmon but over the years I've put it on everything from steak to chicken. It makes a boring chicken breast a fabulous dinner worthy of company.

The last time I set out to make it I found that both of my local grocery stores had stopped selling green peppercorns in brine.  It took a bit of looking to find and when I did, I bought all the jars they had just so that I didn't have to freak out and run all over town the next time I want The Sauce.  Because believe me, once you've had The Sauce, you're going to have to have it again.

So, for Jay...

The Sauce

1 pat of butter (@ 1 teaspoon)
1 large shallot, chopped
1 airplane bottle (about 1 1/2 oz) Brandy or Cognac
1 chicken bouillon cube, crushed
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 a jar (about 2 Tablespoons) brined green peppercorns, chopped
1 cup cream

In a saucepan melt butter and, on medium heat, saute shallot.  Once shallot has just begun to brown, remove the pan from the heat and add the liquor.  BE CAREFUL with this step - both Brandy and Cognac are highly flammable and could light on fire. It's ok if it does, just keep your eyebrows!

Put sauce back on heat and let reduce by about half. Add bouillon cube, mustard and peppercorns.  Stir well and add the cream.  Reduce heat to a simmer and let sauce reduce for about half an hour, stirring regularly. If you're feeling particularly decadent, add another pat of butter at the very end... makes for a smooth and glossy sauce.

Pour over broiled salmon, grilled chicken or your best steak. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment