Southern traditions, family favorites and my new recipes.



I use what I've got. If you have confidence in basic cooking techniques, you can do anything in the kitchen.




Saturday, June 4, 2011

I wanted something mexican


So my Big Brother is coming down the mountain for a wedding so we offered to feed and house him for the night. Had I not made the flank steak for dinner LAST night, it would have been perfect for tonight. I don't want to deal with tacos or enchiladas but I'm craving Mexican.

I went looking for ideas that were easy (it is Friday, afterall), could feed two men and would use up a few things I had lying around.

I have brocolli, that's gotta get eaten and is fine as a side. I found this great grilling basket gadget from Williams Sonoma last year that's perfect for grilling wierd stuff like brocolli.  One vegetable covered.

I was thinking about doing chicken thighs since, The Chief Mess Cleaner-Upper loves 'em and they come about 5 in a package... perfect manly meal.  But I usually do asian or italian marinades for chicken thighs. Then it dawned on me... I could pull out a bag of frozen roasted pablano's I have from the last farmer's market of 2010 and I've got some pepper-jack cheese... this could work.

Green Chili Grilled Chicken

Marinade

1 can of rotel (I used hot. We like it hot but beware, it's REALLY hot). Empty can into a gallon ziplock, close bag and crush tomatoes by hand.  Nice for a Friday stress reliever. 
Add 1 package of boneless, skinless chicken thighs and refridgerate for an hour or more.

Chicken

1 can of whole roasted chilis (anahiems) or 2 - 3 roasted poblanos
4-5 slices of pepper jack cheese

Grill chicken thighs. After first turn lay a piece of roasted chili over the chicken thigh and cover with a slice of pepper jack cheese.  Close lid on grill, give it 5 and the cheese should be all melty and the chicken ready.

I served with the aforementioned grilled brocolli and grilled corn on the cob with herb butter.  For fun...

Herb Butter

2-3 Tablespoons butter, softened
1-2 Tablespoons of any chopped fresh herb or combination of herbs you have. It's late spring and my herbs are just barely able to give up a few sprigs, but I coax 'em out of it.
salt and pepper

Mix butter with herbs and slather over grilled corn.

I like parsley and chives, summer savory if I have it.  Basil is great but it won't go so well with the mexican feast.

I'll get better at this taking pictures thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment