Southern traditions, family favorites and my new recipes.



I use what I've got. If you have confidence in basic cooking techniques, you can do anything in the kitchen.




Thursday, June 2, 2011

Momma said 'write it down!'

I have the most fun, and my husband (The Chief Mess Cleaner-Upper) says I cook the best, when I don't really have a plan. When I have odds and ends and they need to go into dinner like, tonight, or they're gonna be no good tomorrow.
Things like a quarter of a red bell pepper or a mango or a frozen flank steak.  That's where tonight's dinner started. That and my usual search for ideas. Google and Fine Cooking searches for Flat Iron Steak, Steak Rubs, Grilled Steak butters when I found something from Wolfgang Puck that was close enough to make work with what I had.
Three Gorges 'cus it's kinda Chinese, kinda Indonesian and kinda Southwestern.  I figured, the Rio Grande is a gorge too... right?

Three Gorges Flatiron Steak

Marinade

¼ C Worcestershire
½ C Soy Sauce
½ Teaspoon Sesame Oil
1 Tablespoon Ginger, chopped
3 Cloves Garlic, copped
2 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
¼ -1/2 C Sriracha or chili paste, heat to taste
½ Teaspoon Pepper
1 Teaspoon Agave Nectar

Mango Salsa

1 Mango, chopped
1 Tablespoon green onion, thinly sliced
1 Tablespoon Cucumber, chopped
2 Tablespoon Red Bell Pepper, chopped
¼ Teaspoon Jalapeno, finely chopped
½ Teaspoon Lemon Juice
(I happened to have about 5 good raspberries and threw those in for good measure.  Bet a strawberry would be good too.)

Crèma

3 Tablespoon Sour Cream
Dash of each: Salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, lemon juice
¼ tsp Ancho Chili Powder

Mix all marinade ingredients and throw in the steak. Refrigerate for at least one hour.  Mix all salsa ingredients, cover and refrigerate, half an hour or more.
Fire up the grill.
Mix Crèma ingredients, set aside.
Grill flank steak, medium rare.  I let it go about two minutes, uncovered. Rotated 45 degrees, basted with marinade and another 2 minutes, this time covered. Flip it over, baste again, 3 minutes, covered. Rotated 45 degrees and another 2 minutes, uncovered.
Remove from grill and let rest, 5-8 minutes.
To plate, slice steak thinly and arrange in a yin, add mango salsa in a yang.  Dot Steak with a teaspoon or two of the Crèma.

Next time I'll take a picture, I promise.  It was just so good I had to start a blog!

1 comment: