Southern traditions, family favorites and my new recipes.



I use what I've got. If you have confidence in basic cooking techniques, you can do anything in the kitchen.




Monday, June 27, 2011

Herb Roasted Chicken and English Pea Cous-Cous

I told y'all I got some peas in my veggie box this week... peas, a green bell pepper, a little onion and that might just make for a combo starch-and-veggie side.  Keeping it simple with a roasted chicken breast and I had dinner in an hour.

I've started using skin-on, bone-in chicken breasts for three reasons: they're cheaper, they taste better, and I can take the skin off if I REALLY wanted to and save the extra calories. 

The Chief Mess Cleaner Upper is not all that partial to chicken. Too bad. But I tried to mitigate the expected "Aw, man" when I said chicken was for dinner by doing something a little different with it.  And he LOVES this cous-cous I found.  It's a good substitute since I cannot, for the life of me, cook rice. Thank the Lord he thinks it's great.

Herb Roasted Chicken

2 (or more... how many are you feeding?) bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
2 tablespoons butter, softened
2 tablespoons mixed, chopped fresh herbs (I used chives, parsley, savory and lemon thyme)
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or pulverized
Spritz of olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.  Mix garlic and herbs into softened butter.  Stuff about a tablespoon of the herb-garlic butter under the skin of the chicken breast. Under the skin means the butter will baste the chicken and keep it moist while protecting the herbs from burning AND the skin will still crisp. 'Cus that's the best part, right? Lightly spritz the chicken with olive oil, season with salt and pepper. 

Place chicken breasts on a foil-lined baking sheet and roast in the oven for 40 minutes. 



Meanwhile....

English Pea Cous-Cous



1 box of Near East Garlic and Olive Oil Cous Cous
1/2 cup freshly shelled peas
4 tablespoons chopped green bell pepper
4 tablespoons chopped onion
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil

Olive oil in a small saute pan on low.  Add onion and caramalize slowly, low to medium heat. When the onions start to take on color, add the bell pepper and garlic. When the bell pepper starts to take on color, remove from heat and set aside.  Follow instructions for cous cous.  When the cous cous is done per instructions, cover and remove from heat. When you've got 8 minutes left on the chicken, return onion and bell pepper to a medium flame, add peas and toss regularly. When the peas have just a bit of color on all sides and the chicken is done, add the veggie mix to the cous cous, fluff with a fork to combine, cover and set aside until you serve.

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy! Rice cookers cook rice so you don't have to!

    ReplyDelete