Southern traditions, family favorites and my new recipes.



I use what I've got. If you have confidence in basic cooking techniques, you can do anything in the kitchen.




Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Monday Night Spaghetti


Most Mondays are rough around the edges, and not generally the day I want to go way outside the box and cook something new or exceedingly creative.  Once a month or so, I pull out the easiest meal ever; Spaghetti.  I'm not a big fan of meatballs but the Chief Mess Cleaner-Upper made it clear to me years ago that "It's not dinner if there's not meat in it." So I spruce up a jar of spaghetti sauce...

Spaghetti Sauce

1/2 onion, chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 lb ground meat (I generally use beef or turkey)
1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce
1 splash (about 1 tablespoon) olive oil
1 pinch of red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons of your favorite chopped fresh herbs
Freshly shaved Parmesan

Warm olive oil over medium heat while you chop the onion. Add onion and chili flakes to warmed pan and saute until they just begin to take on color. Add garlic, stir and let the garlic cook for about two minutes.  Add ground meat and stir regularly to combine ingredients and thoroughly brown meat.  Turn down heat and add the spaghetti sauce. Stir to combine, put a lid on the sauce, turn off heat and let sit to combine flavors while you cook the spaghetti.

When the spaghetti is done to your taste, spoon sauce over the noodles, sprinkle with herbs and shave or grate Parmesan over.  Serve with salad and garlic bread.

Fresh herbs make an easy and not so special dinner something really special... and pretty! More on herbs later...

No comments:

Post a Comment