Southern traditions, family favorites and my new recipes.



I use what I've got. If you have confidence in basic cooking techniques, you can do anything in the kitchen.




Sunday, July 3, 2011

Flatiron Steak Salad


We have a lot of salads, but this one's my favorite. There are a bazillion variations of salads, each little change mades a big difference; dressing, roasted nuts, different cheeses, fruits... Just because we have a lot of salads doesn't mean any two are ever the same. Lightly toast a handful of nuts; slice or chop veggies differently to create some textural difference; make a homemade dressing; add a little fruit... Salads are nothing but a creative canvas to play with.

A little shopping tip - my grocery store has a great cheese bar/department. They always have a basket of little bits and pieces that are $5 or less which lets me get great cheese and try new ones without breaking the bank.  Check out your grocery store and see if they don't have something similar.

This one I started with a marinaded flatiron steak.  It was basically the same marinade as the 'Three Gorges Steak'.  Then I went to the garden to see what I had to play with... a few gorgeous radishes, fresh herbs and nasturtiums.  Have you ever grown, or eaten, nasturtiums? They're not only beautiful but they're edible! And taste like spicy pepper.  Who doesn't want flower petals in their salad?

Salads are also a great way for me to clear out any bits and pieces of veggies before my next veggie box arrives.  So use what you've got... here's what I had:

1/2 head of red leaf lettuce, washed, dried and cut into salad-sized pieces
2 tablespoons chopped sugar-snap peas
2 tablespoons chopped bell pepper
2 radishes, thinly sliced.
1 teaspoon chopped parsley
1 teaspoon chopped dill
2-3 nasturtium flowers and 2-3 leaves, chopped
2-3 tablespoons shredded cheese (I had Reypenaer)

Assemble salad, layer thinly sliced steak over, sprinkle with cheese and salad dressing (I used Caesar).

No comments:

Post a Comment